Lemon Chiffon Cake Melissa Wright Cross
Makes 1 (10 inch) Bundt Cake
2 1/2 cups sifted King Arthur flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sugar, divided
1/2 c. olive oil
7 large eggs
Tbsp. lemon zest
3/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Lemon Glaze (recipe follows)
Garnish: lemon zest, fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/4 cups sugar.
Make well in the center,
3. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour oil mixture into well of flour mixture. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
5. In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at medium-high speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Add cream of tarter, and beat to combine. With mixer running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third of egg-white mixture into batter. Add two-thirds of egg-whit mixture, folding until just combined.
6. Spoon batter into an ungreased (10 inch) angel food pan with cooling feet. Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven. Invert pan, and let cool completely.
7. Place pan in an upright position. Using a knife, loosen cake from pan. Dislodge inner core from pan, and remove from cake. Invert cake onto a wire rack, then invert onto a serving platter. Spoon Lemon Glaze over cake. Garnish with lemon zest and raspberries, if desired. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Makes approximately 1 cup
1 1/4 c. confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp. half-and-half
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, half-and-half, and lemon juice until smooth. Use immediately.